top of page

Know the Facts - Civil War History

None of the 2,139 acres within PW Digital Gateway was involved in the First Battle of Manassas.

"Pageland farm was untouched by the first battle of Manassas"

(James M. Burgess Jr., Museum Technician Manassas National Battlefield Park)


Fiction:


The picture used by the Heritage Hunt Active Adult Golf Community HOA is misleading and out of place. Nothing in this picture will be changed.




This is a picture of Henry House Hill — an iconic view of the First Battle of Manassas. It is 3.5 driving miles from the QTS and Compass data center rezonings.


This is a prime example of the misinformation that gets spread when a "Town Hall" excludes all but a pre-arranged few to tell one side of a story. The Heritage Hunt Active Adult Golf Community will not allow the zoning applications to present the true picture of Digital Gateway to their residents.


Fact:

Dr. Cyrus C. Marsteller and his wife Eliza owned Pageland Farm (located on Pageland Lane) at the time of the Civil War but lived at “Melbourne” near Gainesville.

The Manor house for Pageland Farm was called “Melbourne.” Melbourne was located in what is now the western portion of the Heritage Hunt Adult Golf community, and was torn down when Heritage Hunt was developed. Melbourne was used as a Confederate field hospital during the Second Battle of Manassas.


“Pageland Farm remained behind Confederate lines throughout the Second Battle of Manassas.” (James M. Burgess, Jr., Museum Technician, Manassas National Battlefield Park)


The closest data center building to the Brawner Farm, front line of the battle is ½ mile distant and on the opposite side of the Regional High Voltage Electric Transmission Lines.



No civil war or pre-civil war maps show the “Honeywood” or Snyder/Pageland farmhouses located on Pageland Lane. This is because they were likely not there at the time of the Second Battle of Manassas (Aug-Sept 1862). The County assessment records show that the “Honeywood” house was constructed in 1901. Its current owner was told that it was named “Honeywood” in the 1940s. The Snyder/Pageland farmhouse is identified in the book Prince William: A Past to Preserve, as dating to 1870 (after the Civil War).


Fiction:


The Snyder/Pageland farmhouse and the “Honeywood” house have significant historic integrity and are important in interpreting the Second Battle of Manassas.

Comments


bottom of page